The Santa Fe International Hostel is a 501(c)(3) educational not-for-profit organization. We have been in operation for over 30 years and our goal is to create an affordable, well-located, well-operated facility to encourage personal development through independent travel and cross-cultural exchange.
We are still doing shared community among travelers— just doing it a little differently right now!
To foster health and safety during COVID-19 pandemic, we are limiting the guest use of common areas to outdoor areas and have suspended the offering of shared dormitories (non-related individuals in same-room) until there is herd immunity or a vaccine. We’ve converted dorms into private rooms for individuals and parties travelling as a household or group (1-6 people). We are also offering private rooms with 1/2 bath that share private showers. Rooms with full bathrooms en suite also have a microwave, small fridge, and eating space. The share-bath rooms have access to an outdoor area with microwave and fridge. Share-showers have Covid-safe protocols in place.
We operate as a traditional hostel. We don’t provide maid service; guests make their own beds & and clean their own rooms on the day of check-out, leaving them as clean or cleaner than they found them, in the spirit of intended community. We are not in the hospitality business and we are not a shelter. Our mission is to support self-improvement through educational travel. We do not offer lodging to New Mexico residents living within 2 hours drive and we generally do not serve people engaged in the local economy.
IMPORTANT, PLEASE READ ALL: Our rules might be different from what you have found elsewhere. We are a traditional hostel and an intentional community.
*We require photo ID that must show a residence address that indicates you are traveling from outside the local economic region (greater than a 2-hour drive from Santa Fe.) Locals will be denied entry upon arrival.
* The office opens at 8 a.m. and closes at 9 p.m. Please check in between noon and 8 :00 p.m.. Special check-in arrangements can sometimes be made IF you call to make them during office hours
* Check-out time is 12noon on the day of your departure. If the check-out or re-booking occurs later than 12pm, a two-dollar late fee will be charged. If you have a travel-related need to stay on property after check-out, please inquire with staff regarding day-use fee.
* Please enjoy our common areas and leave them and all items that you use as clean as or cleaner than you found them. Cleaning supplies are available.
* Common areas close at 11pm, except the patio on Cerrillos Road which you can enjoy at all hours.
* All guests participate in morning cleanup in the spirit of a traditional hostel. [This may be modified during COVID.]
* A $10 per person cash deposit, paid at reception, helps assure cheerful compliance.
* Internet (including wireless) is included. Login info is provided at check-in. Rooms do not have phones, television, or gaming devices.
* All guests must present themselves at the front desk upon check-in. We have a relationship with each guest, not each room. Non-registered guests are not allowed on property for health and safety reasons. Additional guests are $10/day.
* Pets are not allowed on the premises, but bona fide service animals are welcome.
* A shirt and shoes are required in all public areas.
* Smoking is not allowed in any enclosed areas (but we do have a wonderful courtyard and patio.)
* Marijuana and other drug use will not be tolerated, nor will excessive alcohol consumption or drunkenness.
FOR SECURITY REASONS:
We reserve the right to refuse service to any individual for reasons related to our mission or the security of the premises. We do not provide tours of the property and we do not show rooms prior to check-in.
FOR GUEST PRIVACY:
Do not take photos of hostel guests or staff without first obtaining verbal consent.
CHECK OUT TIME IS BY NOON:
Beyond the above, all guests are expected to respect other guests and the volunteer staff of the hostel.
Extensive food staples are provided for free to all guests. Soap, shampoo, stamps, razors, and other necessities are available at nominal charge. Wireless Internet is provided. [Shared kitchen, front desk, and indoor communal spaces are currently restricted to staff and long-term guests only until further notice.] There are two outdoor areas for taking meals and socializing with other guests.
The hostel is an appropriate location for families, student groups, conference attendees, and other troupes of all ages, assuming that proper adult supervision is provided.
Information on making a reservation is here.