* as of June 15th 2022, All of our prices will increase $5 for instance: a private room with private 1/2 bath is now $35 and $15 for each additional person. Prices have been changed to reflect this increase in the website pricing. We have also implemented a 2 night minimum stay in all of the rooms.
The Santa Fe International Hostel is a 501(c)(3) educational not-for-profit organization. We have been in operation for over 30 years and our goal is to create an affordable, well-located, well-operated facility to encourage personal development through independent travel and cross-cultural exchange.
We operate as a traditional hostel. We don’t provide maid service; guests make their own beds and clean their own rooms on the day of check-out, leaving them as clean or cleaner than they found them, in the spirit of intended community. We are not in the hospitality business and we are not a shelter. Our mission is to support self-improvement through educational travel. We do not offer lodging to New Mexico residents living within 2 hours drive and we generally do not serve people engaged in the local economy.
IMPORTANT, PLEASE READ ALL: Our rules might be different from what you have found elsewhere. We are a traditional hostel and an intentional community.
*WE ACCEPT CASH ONLY
*We require photo ID that must show a residence address that indicates you are traveling from outside the local economic region (greater than a 2-hour drive from Santa Fe.) Locals will be denied entry upon arrival.
* The office opens at 8 a.m. and closes at 9:30 p.m. Please check in between noon and 9:30 p.m.. Special check-in arrangements can sometimes be made IF you call to make them during office hours
* Check-out time is 12noon on the day of your departure. If the check-out or re-booking occurs later than 12pm, a two-dollar late fee will be charged. If you have a travel-related need to stay on property after check-out, please inquire with staff regarding day-use fee.
* Please enjoy our common areas and leave them and all items that you use as clean as or cleaner than you found them. Cleaning supplies are available.
* Common areas close at 11pm, except the patio on Cerrillos Road which you can enjoy at all hours.
* All guests participate in morning cleanup in the spirit of a traditional hostel.
* A $10 per person cash deposit, paid at reception, helps assure cheerful compliance.
* Internet (including wireless) is included. Login info is provided at check-in. Rooms do not have phones, television, or gaming devices.
* All guests must present themselves at the front desk upon check-in. We have a relationship with each guest, not each room. Non-registered guests are not allowed on property for health and safety reasons. Additional guests are $15/day.
* Pets are not allowed on the premises, but bona fide service animals are welcome.
* A shirt and shoes are required in all public areas.
* Smoking is not allowed in any enclosed areas (but we do have a wonderful courtyard and patio.)
* Marijuana will be permitted in designated areas on the property, excessive alcohol consumption or drunkenness will not be tolerated and are grounds for end of stay without a refund.
FOR SECURITY REASONS:
We reserve the right to refuse service to any individual for reasons related to our mission or the security of the premises. We do not provide tours of the property and we do not show rooms prior to check-in.
Please read our Hostel Policies (PDF) as you will be expected to follow them. You may download a copy for reference.
FOR GUEST PRIVACY:
Do not take photos of hostel guests or staff without first obtaining verbal consent.
CHECK OUT TIME IS BY NOON:
Beyond the above, all guests are expected to respect other guests and the volunteer staff of the hostel.
Soap, shampoo, stamps, razors, and other necessities are available at nominal charge. Wireless Internet is provided. There are two outdoor areas for taking meals and socializing with other guests.
The hostel is an appropriate location for families, student groups, conference attendees, and other troupes of all ages, assuming that proper adult supervision is provided.
Information on making a reservation is here.
Interview with Preston
You can click here for a YouTube video interview with the founder and operator of the hostel, Preston Ellsworth